Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Summer Canadian


Life is about to ramp up here soon, gotta go north next week to find a new place to live and check out schools for the kiddo.  We literally have only 3 days to get these goals accomplished, so wish me luck!

A good way to de-stress is to think of my "happy place", which happens to be Lake Duborne in northern Ontario.  My family has had a cabin there since the '50s and a little over 10 years ago my Dad and stepmom built another cottage on the same lake.  The entire extended family tries to be there at the same time, and during the busiest week we probably cram 20-some people on the porch of the original cabin for dinner each evening.  This place is our family's version of heaven on earth and we all work hard the entire rest of the year in order to get our vacation up north, enjoying quality time with each other and our Canadian friends and nature.  My D&J usually get about 3-4 months at their cottage, and my son and I are fortunate to spend about 4 weeks there.  It's primarily about family time, but it's also about learning to respect and value nature, replenish the soul, and enjoy a quality of life that we don't get "back home".


Annnnd, as the pic above attests, there is the occasional (okay, more like often) enjoyment of Canadian beer.  Along with pretty nails!  :-)

The hubby can usually snag a week off work to come north as well, which involves a 2+ hour drive back to the States to pick him up at a regional airport, and I always try to stop in at various big box retailers (on the Canadian side of the border, gotta support their economy too!) that we don't have anywhere near the lake to stock up on supplies.  Which of course means a quick gander at nail polish displays...duh!  This past summer I lucked out and stumbled on the gorgeous Nicole by OPI "Cinna-man of My Dreams", one of the textured polishes from their Gumdrops line.


GAH!  I love this polish, so so so much!  In fact, now I'm gonna have to throw it into the gotta-wear-soon queue after editing these photos and being reminded of how pretty it is.  Though I do have to admit, my pics aren't that great since they were taken in full sun and at the worst possible time of day to do sun photos, so the colors aren't entirely accurate.  But take my word for it...this polish is gorgeous and unique and absolutely worth seeking out to add to your stash!

Couple more photos of nails, and maybe a few bonus lake pics, after the jump....






I love this shot of my kiddo and his Grandpa (my dad) heading home for the night from the original family cabin after dinner.

This is a cool t-shirt that some Americans-who-also-spend-summers-in-Canada friends of my parents gave them at a dinner party last summer.  Thinking of adapting this design into a possible tattoo.....?

I love this pretty shot of my son heading towards the clearing after we spent some time visiting with friends at Battlepoint.

This place is vital to my soul, without a doubt.  Some people celebrate renewal and beginnings with New Year's Eve on Dec. 31st each year, but my version of that is always spent at the lake in July.  It's what I look forward to all year, and it's agony when it's time to leave, but I always feel refreshed and stronger and happier after my month at the lake and am so grateful for everything about it.  Even the lack of air-conditioning.  Lol....  :)




No comments:

Post a Comment